Other foods contaminated with and cause spread of aflatoxin :
- milk and cheese (rarely, meat can also become contaminated due to the spreading in aflatoxin in livestock feed)
- nuts (especially almonds, Brazil nuts, pecans, pistachios and walnuts)
- grains including quinoa
- dried spices
- although it’s not commonly eaten, cottonseed is also a major crop that tends to grow aflatoxin
Experts believe that the biggest threat of aflatoxin to human health globally is the contamination of corn, since it’s such a widely-consumed crop in many parts of the world. Corn tends to be grown in humid climates that are likely to have contaminated soils. Aflatoxin in corn is hard to control because of the enormous quantity that it’s grown in, duration of storage processing and how we ship it across the globe.. Because some populations eating a lot of corn might already have impaired immunity, aflatoxin in corn is a big concern for liver disease formation.
Does cooking peanuts and corn help to reduce aflatoxin?
Aflatoxin molds are not entirely killed off even when corn, grains peanuts or other foods are processed or roasted, so it can even show up in things like peanut butter and many processed products.
1. Studies show that chlorophyllin and chlorophyll supplements help to reduce the bioavailability of aflatoxin.
2.Milk thistle, marshmallow root and dandelion root all help cleanse the liver and can lower digestive symptoms.
3. Activated charcoal can help bind to aflatoxin mold and carry it out of the body more easily
First and foremost, when following a detoxifying nutrition plan, I ask my clients to avoid nuts, lentils, legumes, peanut butter and all foods that carry a major risk of aflatoxin. We work on adding supplements and improving nutrition intake which boost detoxifying pathways. This is very important to focus on when starting a programme of healing and recovery.
Furthermore, when adding nuts back into your nutrition plan, I always advice to roast the nuts in high heat, and store in fridge. You must consume the nuts quickly and purchase only the freshest.
Are you still eating nuts on a regular basis? This may be a good time to consider the above facts and focus on correct supplements instead.