For everyone who has never had the honor of trying a Gulab Jamun …I’m sorry man. You really missed out on an exotic and royal dessert. Please, I beg you to run to your nearest Desi eateries and search for them…like crazy!
For my sisters who love and make this dish, try this super easy recipe that is fail proof!
PS – khoya or mawa milk solids made by simmering milk until all water is evaporated. You can easily make it, all it needs is about 5 minutes. Method : mix together 2 cups sweetened condensed milk with 6 to 8 tablespoons. Mix this well and refrigerate until needed. THAT’S IT.
For the Gulab Jamuns:
- Khoya 2 cups
- Flour 4 tbsp
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Water as required
- Oil for frying
For the syrup:
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 11/2 cup
You can also make your own Khoya easily at home with just milk powder and cream.
- Combine sugar and water for the syrup. Heat the water until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- In a bowl add Khoya, Cardamom powder, baking powder and flour. Add water little by little until the mixture turns into a dough.
- Heat the oil on medium-low flame.
- While the oil is heating, divide the dough in 10-15 equal portions and roll it into smooth balls.
- Now fry the balls until they turn golden brown and then add them directly into the sugar syrup.