Fish curry is such a traditional dish in Desi culture, it’s hard not to love it. For me it’s been comfort food too. I cooked with Silver Carp, but you can try with any other fish as well. Curries may seem really difficult but I promise you it’s really EASY! Basic fish curry is basically a two part job. Part 1 you fry the fish in oil, part 2 you make curry gravy and add the fish. Eating is part 3 and that’s the best part though 😀
- 6 pieces of Silver Carp steak or any fish you prefer
- OGG Paste (1 medium onion, 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 teaspoon garlic processed into paste)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder for curry / 1 teaspoon turmeric powder for frying fish
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (adjust this to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Half teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup oil and 2 tablespoon oil for frying fish
- 3 medium potatoes sliced into wedges
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander to garnish
Frying Fish First :
Put fish in a pot that has lid, add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover pot with lid and shake to coat the fish in spices. Heat a frying pan and add 2 tablespoon oil. When oil is hot, add the fish to oil and fry until golden yellow on both sides.
Heat a pot, does not need to be too deep but wide and deep enough not to crowd the fish and allow curry gravy to simmer. Add the 1/4 cup of oil and heat on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and OGG paste. Stir and make sure not to burn. When aromatic (darkens slightly in color) add the spices : turmeric / chilli / cumin / coriander. Stir and do not let burn. Curry paste will deepen in color and become dark reddish brown. This takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Add 3 cups of water and bring to boil. Add the fried fish and potatoes. Add salt to taste. Increase heat to medium high and cover half way. Reduce gravy until it is just slightly covering the fish. When gravy is reduce, garnish with fresh coriander and cover lid. Enjoy !